Wednesday, February 26, 2014

South Pacific Cruise-Tahiti

My mother had a brilliant plan.

Her birthday is in January, and what better way to escape the cold dreary winter in Louisiana then going on a cruise of the South Pacific for her birthday?

And who am I to say no?

Now some of you may have realized that I don't exactly have the typical beach babe body. But for the first time in my life, I did not let this stop me. I slathered on the sunscreen, draped towels around me, and had a fabulous time. I went into the woods, I hung out on wet beaches (in the a thunderstorm), snorkeled, trekked, and pushed my comfort envelope.

And it was fun.

So in the middle of January, we hopped on a plane (well, planes), and after a nice night's sleep, found ourselves on the island of Tahiti.


No matter how many pictures that one sees, it doesn't prepare you for the real beauty of the water in the South Pacific. (Funny thing is, in this first group of pictures, I don't seem to have any pictures of the water.)

Here's the view from our room at the Hotel Intercontinental.




One lounges a lot in Tahiti.


Have you ever seen such clams? This is photographed through about a meter of water.


Tikis.



Our first full day there, I took a trek into the interior of Tahiti. Far away from the beaches.



Tahiti was formed by volcanoes. As a result, there are magnificently sculpted peaks in the very center of the island.


And lots of waterfalls.





The roads are really rough getting into the interior.


Look at the size of these elephant ears.


And giant ferns.



Yes our little group even went for a swim...


Proof positive that I swam in river water.  YES, I swam in something other than a "cement pond"!!!!!!

Pretty impressive, huh?

















2 comments:

janolavstorli said...

The scenery is absolutely awesome!

Well done Lady E!

rsgoldfast said...

Basically, the actual chitchat takes up lots of devote your still left bottom part corner with the display screen (and isn't resizeable), while the game discussion arbitrarily skims somewhere at the base core of the display.
Cheap RS Gold

Runescape Gold