Friday, February 9, 2018

Pago Pago, American Samoa

Lesson One.  It's pronounced "Pango."

Lesson Two.  It's pronounced "SAM-o-ah."

And it's about as far out in the Pacific Ocean as one can get.

I gotta say, it was good to see land.  Even if it was cloaked in clouds and threatened rain.
I opted for a short tour of the East side of the island and a stop at Two Dollar Beach (which costs $5 to get in)....

And so, without further ado, a glimpse into Pago Pago (it's just fun to say, isn't it?)

Flower Pot Rock (I don't know, ask a Pagoan)




If you enjoy Chicken of the Sea or Starkist Tuna, you've dined on a product from Pago Pago.


I'm guessing I got the angle wrong on Camel Rock.


The buses, local and tour, are all open air-  based on Ford F-450 trucks.


The driver pointed this out to me- bonus points to him!  The concrete was a mooring for boats during WWII.  The tsunami of 2016 dislodged it and drove it up closer to shore.



The speed limit along the highway (yes, the shoreline road is a highway)  is 20 mph.




You know- some things just tickle me.  There's a story here....I wonder why this half of the car ended up next to the dumpster.  Lends new meaning to "Bulk Item Collection Day"...



Obligatory toes-in-the-water photo.





Ok, here's a fun fact for your next cocktail party or trivia night.  Samoans don't have cemeteries.  Samoans own the land where they reside, and by tradition, they bury their ancestors right out in the front yard.  Sometimes into the front porch.





Two Dollar Beach.  Five Dollar Beer.  Perfect when the day is 85f with 90% humidity.





My kinda highway.


No comments: