Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Monday, Monday...NYC Style

When I go on the annual Cynamin trip, I go up a few days before or stay a few days after to visit friends and have my annual mammography. Why, you ask, go to NYC for mammos?? Well, Grumpy Guy used to be an X-ray film salesman for DuPont, and his territory for four years was Manhattan's teaching hospitals (aka "Bedpan Alley"). One of his clients was Murray Hill Radiology, the head honcho of whom is Julie Mitnick, MD. Dr. Mitnick is considered by many to be the best breast radiologist on the East Coast, if not the entire U.S., so when it came time for me to start getting mammos, he scheduled the appointment personally. He won't let me go anywhere else. What a great guy...and what a great excuse to stay in NYC a few extra days!

I am also lucky to have a free place to stay. One of Grumpy Guy's business partners runs a company that has a corporate apartment in one of the nicest parts of the city--right across from the Morgan Library. It's a tiny pied-a-terre, but it convenient and, best of all, FREE!!!

So Monday morning, I hopped in a cab with my luggage and dropped it off, then walked the 15 or so blocks back to the hotel. Another gorgeous day! How did we get so lucky on the weather?

We headed downtown to the land of imitation ....Chinatown.
I wish I had pictures, but for reasons well known to policemen and street vendors, I can't divulge my sources. Let's just say that a minibus full of well-dressed ladies had no problem finding fake Gucci bags and Chanel sunglasses.
We also made a stop at Papyrus and Kate's Paperie which is right across from our lunch spot-
the ever-popular Balthazar.
Food so good, it makes me weak-in-the-knees. I had the warm goat cheese tart with caramelized onions as a starter, and it was so wonderful, I bought the Balthazar Cookbook.

A little more shopping, and it was time to tell everyone "bye" and hop the subway back to the apartment.

Late afternoon, I hooked up with my sister-in-law, who teaches at Hunter College, and we were picked up by her son-in-law, our favorite New York cop. The drive out to the suburbs was fast (thank you Palisades Parkway) where I had a fun visit with 'da niece, 'da cop, 'da teach and my two precious great nieces (I am too young to have great nieces......).




What a way to end the weekend!!!!

No comments: