Monday, April 21, 2008

Track-Region Meet

I feel like I'm at training camp--I'm going to have to do two-a-days until the blog is up-to-date!

Last Wednesday we had to interrupt prom preparation for the Region Varsity track meet. Brentwood's athletic director asked Girl to run in the 800 meters, which was an honor for her.
She wasn't happy with her time (perfectionist that she is) having just returned from Nicaragua (damn, that's another post....) and unable to train for a week....but she has 4 more years to qualify for state. And we were all proud of her! She ran a leg of the 4x400 as well--sub 70 seconds! And she has her final JuniorVarsity track meet of the season today.

I attended in my official capacity as the team's "Spike Goddess" (sounds so much sexier than "spike technician") and "cat herder"- tracking down athletes, getting them to their events in time, and generally making sure they stay out of trouble--mostly.
Very attractive pic of me eating cookies and GG staying out of the sun


Parents trying to figure out what's up

Boy qualified for state in 4 of his 5 events (to qualify, one has to finish in the top 4 at region). While he just missed qualifiying for the 100 meters- (which he ran in 11.7 seconds-a personal best), he will triple jump, run in the 4x100 and 4x400 relays, and run the 200 meters, in which he is REGION CHAMPION with a time of 24.04.
Boy receiving his Champion plaque
The Brentwood boys' team- just 8 guys-
were region runners-up, and Boy's friend and teammate, Dart, was high scorerer, and region champ in THREE events.


It just so happened that the meet fell on Boy's 17th birthday, so everyone sang "Happy Birthday" to him after the meet was over. Embarrassed the hell out of him, but he took it in good spirit.

And so, off we head this week for the state track meet--Thursday, Friday and Saturday. The kids get to miss 2 days of school. Hope I can find a hotel!

I have my spike bag packed and my stopwatches primed!

No comments: