Thursday, August 7, 2008

the Latest Ring of Hell

Ok, I normally don’t like to complain…especially about something that one can do nothing about, like the weather. But God Almighty, it’s hot here in the Middle-Of-Nowhere. 105 F. 41 C. Not just your average, run-of-the-mill heat wave, where plants wilt slightly. I mean an all-out assault on the senses….”Africa Hot”…”Make-you-take-a-deep-breath-before-you-exit-the-house-and-sprint-to-your-car-so-you-don’t-have-to-breathe-in-the-searing-atmosphere-hot”. A “red-Georgia-clay-pulverized-into-dust-and-covering-everything” hot . So hot you don’t want to stand or sit near a window because you can feel the heat radiating through the pane of glass. So hot the rain hits the patio and immediately vaporizes. An “oh-God-why-did-I-leave-Scotland-where-I-was-freezing-three-weeks-ago” hot….A “why-am-I-here-when-I-have-friends-in-Sweden-and-Norway” hot. A "ring-of-hell-Dante-never-envisioned" hot.

If I think I’m up to my ass in alligators in heat at the moment, there are 34 people fairing worse. The Brentwood Varsity Football Team. Boy and his teammates. He has football camp this week. Three-a-days. From 8am to 8pm. His team drank 41 gallons of Gatorade yesterday. He went to sleep at 9pm last night, he was so drained. But he’s young, and fit, and most of his brain cells haven’t been killed off by alcohol.

And speaking of alcohol, there’s only one solution for the heat….I’m going to make a pina colada. As Scarlett O’Hara said “tomorrow is another day”—maybe cooler. A wine cooler.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We're about 10-12 degrees cooler here in Gainesville, Fla., thank the weather gods! And I avoid the worst of even that heat by sleeping the days away in A/C comfort. Yet another reason to love working nights, methinks. Have an Icee... which a frozen pina colada sort of qualifies as, if you are willing to be, um, liberal in your definition of Icee... and I am, for your sake.