Thursday, May 14, 2009

E's Folly

I fell in love in Italy.

How many relationships can say they started that way?? Italy, after all, is Italy.

But the object of my passion was not a human...It was an automobile.

I couldn't take my eyes off... yes....the smart car...

The modern design of Swatch, the automotive engineering of Mercedes-Benz, combine it with some artistic ingenuity and you get ......smart!

"s"= Swatch + "m"= Mercedes +"art"=



So when I found out they were finally available in America....I decided to be a big girl. I got on the waiting list. The waiting list to GET IN LINE for it to be MANUFACTURED..... I waited patiently. I researched. I checked safely specs. When my turn to order came, and I did just that. I talked to the dealership. I negotiated the specifics, picked the color, discussed price. I called the bank, organized the loan, and qualified on my own. Grumpy Guy knew about it, of course, but I wanted to do this MYSELF.

Well, guess what...it got here early. About 4 months early, to be precise.

Yes, I know in this economy, with Grumpy Guy's businesses tenuously in development--buying a new car seems crazy. Probably is.

But, as a stay-at-home-mom, I made a promise to myself long ago, when Boy was just starting school. When the first of my two "Baby Birds" was successfully kicked out of the nest and flew, I would celebrate.

So E's Folly arrived 10 days before his graduation. And I picked her up yesterday. You would not believe how quiet and SMOOTH she is to drive--even on the interstate at 80 miles an hour, I couldn't tell she weighs just over 1600 pounds--and I didn't have to crank up the stereo, even though she is a convertible!!

And, darn it all--isn't she just the CUTEST THING???? Girl is already in love with her, and wants one for herself. GG thinks she looks European. Boy describes her as "awesome".

I'm going to have to keep my eye on her when they are around.......

Picking up my smart Passion Cabriolet at Mercedes-Benz of Buckhead, Atlanta






The interior is AMAZING--very roomy and large- with heated leather seats, fabulous stereo with mp3 outlet, and all the other luxury appointments you'd expect Mercedes to think about.


Simple, clean lines. (the cord is the line from the mp3 input to my itouch.)



Look--159 miles, having driven from Atlanta to home!!


The back/trunk area can accomodate 2 carry-on bags, or lots of groceries




Oh, and I can not say enough nice things about the smart branch of Mercedes-Benz Buckhead. They were a JOY to work with. Go see them!

smart center Buckhead
2799 Piedmont Rd NE
Atlanta, Ga 30305
Phone 404 425 5560

No comments: