Sunday, May 23, 2010

WC2010- Clyde

On sea days, Crystal Cruises provides so many entertainment choices, it is sometimes hard to choose. This year, I decided to participate in the afternoon art classes, and I am so glad I did.

Our Odyssey at Sea art instructor was Julie Warren Conn. She is an exceptional sculptor, and generously shared her talents with us.

I took to stone carving like a duck to water. So much, so I ordered tools when I got home, and have been having fun working on a few pieces..still works in progress.

I picked out my piece of Montana alabaster, which was tinted a slight jade color. I quickly decided it needed a name, so the rock became known as "Clyde" as in Bonnie and Clyde.

Now I must tell you that Grumpy Guy's oldest sister had a best friend for over 50 years. She was an artist of all media, but I remember her most as a sculptor. She died a few months before I went on my cruise. As I learned the rudiments of sculpting from Julie, I felt that Viretta was guiding me as well. So much so, that, when I looked at my finished piece, I saw Viretta's flowing blonde hair--and angel wings...so "Clyde" became known as "Viretta".......

Here's the evolution of "Viretta"......



One side


Other side





No comments: