Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Qatar

Lordy- another month--another lag in the posting!

Well, I've been busy- and I'll tell you about that later...but for now, let's head back two months and visit Qatar.

We felt welcomed.



I had a day at leisure-- nothing planned.  So the girls and I grabbed a cab and visited the Souq--not looking for anything, just curious.





(I'm thinking there is method in this madness of not posting my travel photos right away--just writing this has made me smile all over again, remembering the sites.)

Then we said "why not head to the Museum of Islamic Art?



First of all, the architecture is Ah- MAZ-ing.

Inside, too.


So many riches to see.


 Emeralds the size of an  Apple Watch.


Enameled and gilded glass.



Ancient inlaid metal.



 Bejeweled birds.



Again with the emeralds--this time a cup carved of a solid emerald stone.


And of course, jewelry.




Did I mention the Museum was FREE?????

After several hours wandering around (and seeing several shore excursion tours- we were so glad we had all the time we wanted...) we decided to try out the Museum restaurant...

IDAM.



Finding it was an  Alain Ducasse-branded restaurant was like the cherry on the top of a perfectly lovely day.  No reservation?  Really not a problem.  We were treated like princesses and thoroughly enjoyed every morsel, from the bread trolley through the dessert trolley.

These are MY kinda days- nothing planned and totally spontaneous.



Absolutely perfect.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The bird and that blue vase is stunning!