Sunday, August 12, 2007

The Last Week of Summer Vacation

Ah, the last week before my little darlings return to school. Thursday is open house and Friday is the first full day of classes.

Kids grow up so fast. I know we are all told this as new parents, but here it is, 16 and 13 years later, and I can't help thinking about the "old days" when first days of school meant new outfits, new backpacks, pictures on the front porch---the whole works. Now it means getting teenagers back on a normal schedule (waking up at 6:30am instead of the crack of noon) and going shopping for back to school clothes with your girlfriend instead of your mom.

But back-to-school also means I get my house back to a semi-normal state of disrepair. We love being the house where all the kids hang out- makes me feel younger than my 46 years- but there are times....especially when Boy's pals all get their electric guitars going for a jam session...or Girl's friends start thinking that it's more fun to throw the billiard balls into the pockets instead of using a cue. On Friday, it will be my quiet house again, with just the Grumpy Guy working on his start-up company from the comfort of the den. I won't have to retreat to my closet with my noise cancelling headphones just to get a little knitting done!!

It will be awfully quiet then.........

No comments: