Thursday, August 16, 2007

Reveling at Ravelry

One reason I'm not making as quick progress on the baby blanket as I'd like is because I've been busy playing on Ravelry.

For non-knitters, Ravelry is a new site for the knitting community. It's in beta testing. These two geniuses, Casey and Jess, thought it would be nice to have a site where knitters could post pictures, share patterns, chat in forums - just about everything you can think of.

The buzz about Ravelry began in the spring. As more people joined, a waiting list developed. In order to keep the "bugs" to a minimum, only a certain number of new members are invited each week. Hopefully, it will go "live" in a month or so.

As of last week, there are over 7,000 users and 15, 500 on the waiting list.

I received my invite while I was on vacation in July. I signed up as soon as I got home.

Here's my Ravelry page (it's also under links on the right)

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/MaisonCouRouge

It's just a whole lot of fun- I've got folks like Stephanie Pearl-McPhee-aka the Yarn Harlot, David Reidy from the Sticks and Strings podcast and Brenda Dayne from Cast-On in my "friends" list. For a knitter, this is like having J.K. Rowling, Nicole Kidman and St. Peter as buddies. Fellow knitters leave comments about your works-in-progress and hearts if they like what they see. Always positive and kind (knitters seldom, if ever, criticize one another's work), it's like a pat on the back or a giant "well done".

I also love the groups. I've joined a bunch- from knitters who love to travel, to those of us who love knitting and chocolate, to knitters who attended women's colleges. Just about any other interest a knitter could have.

They only problem is, I've found so many projects I want to do, I will be knitting until I'm 150 years old.

And if I spend much more time at Ravelry, I won't get ANY knitting done.

No comments: