Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Charleston with My Girls

We will take a small break from graduation festivities to travel to Charleston with some of my dearest friends in the world...the Randolph-Macon Breakfast Bunch.

It's been 30 years since we left Macon, and five years since Macon became the co-educational Randolph College.  We have vowed never to return to "that place that WAS our college" as a group, but have decided we need to get together more often.  I couldn't make the reunion in Santa Fe two years ago, but we ALL managed to arrive in Charleston on Wednesday, May 16.



Mahlon, Evie, Kerstin, Frances and Christina.

Known alternatively as The Randolph-Macon Girls, my peeps, my college pals, these are the ladies who have my back- no matter what.

There will be no rhyme or reason to the next few blog posts- it was that kinda weekend.  I've sorted things into subjects.

The weather was overcast (thank you Tropical Storm Beryl), but not really rainy when we were out and about.



All of us technology savvy...even Mahlon*.



We had a little wine to go along with our talkin'.



On Thursday night, our friend Ruth Aiken Owens and her husband, Tim came by for drinks.



He's written a novel -"The Search Committee"- and he was gracious enough to sign Christina's copy.

Frances is wickedly funny as ever.



Evie loves her TCU Horned Frogs.



And then there's Christina...just Christina.



I know, I take the wierdest photos sometimes.



Evie sittin' pretty.



Frances playing cat herder, trying to get ONE decent photo of us.







We got the giggles while waiting for our table at  Husk 



(I didn't realize until AFTER lunch that  Husk was named 2011 Best New Restaurant in America by Bon Appetit magazine.  Their winelist is amazing...sorted by SOIL type.........)

When Frances looks like this...some WONDERFUL comment is about to be made.



Kerstin wanted a serious photo.



But this is how she normally looks.



Evie had to leave a day early so she could get back for her son's senior prom, but the rest of us went to Toast for an early dinner.  I was excited by the bottomless mimosas.........





We really didn't care where we went or what we did.  We just wanted to be together.



I got driving duty- which I loved.  But as the Mariner has only 5 seats, Kerstin (as the youngest??) got to sit in the "way back".





My girls...I love 'em.



* Yes, some of the frequenters of Maison Cou Rouge may have heard of a "Mahlon Day" as in "Mom, can I take a Mahlon Day?".  This is THE Mahlon from which the term springs.  In college, every once in a great while Mahlon would sometimes decide to blow off class, hang out in her jammies all day, paint her nails and watch tv and generally goof off.   We dubbed the action "taking a Mahlon Day"....we still do.

No comments: