Monday, February 26, 2018

Crystal Cruises 2018 World Cruise Gala Celebration

Well, I'm just gonna say up front that there is not much that would get me into a white dress.
With my sunburn-and-peel skintone, and my beached baby whale  less than model-like figure,  it would take a lot.

But the World Cruise Gala (nicknamed the White Gala) did.

It's a rare port that BOTH of Crystal Cruises ocean-going vessels, Crystal Symphony and Crystal Serenity call at the same time.  I've only been aboard once, in Barcelona, in 2010.  Sydney was the linchpin  in Crystals 2018 "2 Ships- 4 World Cruise Options" scheme....and so decided to have a grand party for both ships' world cruisers whilst in port.

We were tendered and bussed to historic Sydney Town Hall.  As magnificent a party venue as you could ever wish for.



Once inside, we were greeted by our sister ship's Master and crew (heck, we get to see Captain Vorland and company daily), and handed champagne.  Then it was to be greeted by Crystal Cruises' new president, Tom Wolber and his wife.  Tommy and Heather looked smashing...


and Tommy was mugging as usual for the camera-this time with Barbara.


The curtain was raised, and the gala began in earnest.




And HOW we were entertained.  After a special Indigenous peoples welcome...



Our beloved Hector Olivera impressed us, as always, on the organ....only this time, it was the massive beast of 8800 pipes that occupies one full end of the Sydney Town Hall.



Trust me, you haven't lived until you hear Hector play Handel's Hallelujah Chorus on an 8800-pipe organ.


In and amongst courses, we enjoyed a performance by the Sydney Youth Orchestra...


The big screens only served to highlight how YOUNG these brilliant musicians are.  Then it was onto the Australian Girls' Choir.


Voices of angels, I tell you. They sang-among other songs-  "I Am Australian" to wild applause.  And then...


Australia's own Philip Quast.  He took us on a musical journey through his career, from Australian children's songs, through Rogers and Hammerstein to Sondheim. 

And to finish off the evening, the Girls' Choir gave us an encore of Peter Allen's moving  "I Still Call Australia Home".


My dear friends, Ada and Elisabeth...


Jonathan had fun with his table of girls....


Back at the ship, the party continued....with dancing in the Crystal Cove...


And even a white Cosmopolitan....(I think it had St. Germain instead of cranberry.....not sure, but it was tasty....)



And I gotta tell you...this group of folks (I think there are a total of 300 World Cruisers on both ships) can party long and hard.  I think I am the youngest world cruiser- if not, pretty darn close- and I have a hard time keeping up with these party animals.  It was a glorious night for us World Cruisers.... a party we will never forget!

No comments: