Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Spices in Paradise

Here's a fierce Fijian Cannibal for you!!!


Actually, the people of Fiji and incredibly warm and welcoming (NOW).   I'm so glad I opted to take a Crystal shore excursion named "Flavors of Fiji"- it was a delightful morning!

We left the ship and boarded motorcoaches for the 20 minute trip inland.  Once at the spice farm, we were treated to a traditional Fijian welcome ceremony, complete with kava.  Then it was a walk around the  spice garden...



Bananas...


Cinnamon...



Tree orchids...


Irises...


Turmeric- the wonder spice of Fiji!


Tomatoes...


Veronica- our lovely and KNOWLEDGABLE  guide.  I had such fun trading spice and herb ideas...


Mahogony tree.  Couldn't get the whole thing in the photo--so tall and straight...


New vanilla orchids being trained up poles...


Just a lovely setting for a walk...


Young taro plant.  Might be my new favorite starch.


Pepper grows on vines that climb up trees, bushes- basically anything vertical.


Noni berry- the next wonder fruit!



Meanwhile, back at the pavilion, our lunch was retrieved from its underground oven, and then the hot rocks were rearranged for a demonstration of the legendary art of Fijian firewalking.



Man, these guys must have tough soles.


And then the focus switched back to our fine young cannibal...


Little Sister sure was cute, too!


As was their cousin...


But back to our energetic little cannibal...



Joining in the fierce warrior dance...




And then to the feast!!!


Roasted taro- think a baked potato that holds its shape!



Hot rock roasted pumpkin filled with ginger, onions, turmeric and other spices.


A GORGEOUS plate- roasted chicken, sweet potatoes (purple and orange), roasted taro, and stewed taro leaves and coconut milk.  And the sweetest pineapple!  A feast for the eyes as well as the tastebuds!



Like I said- roasted taro- my new fave.  Gosh I hope the Asian market in Hooterville carries it.

If you are ever in Suva, follow this car.  Trust me.  It leads to a little slice of heaven.




What an excellent few hours.  I came away with some new food ideas, new health knowledge and some new friends.  The humidity didn't bother me, but I did appear rather bedraggled...



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Truly sorry for commenting so much, but your travels make me super-excited and I'm so happy to have a chance to follow your amazing journey around the Pacific. Thank you so very much for giving me this chance!