Friday, June 1, 2018

Muscat, Oman

It sounds so mysterious...Oman.  The Middle East.

A whole new area of the world was awaiting me.  And with it, a W-H-O-L-E lot of preconceived notions that were pretty much blown away.


First, it's beautiful.


Second,  it's mountainous.  I was expecting desert sands. Mounds of sand.  Not mountains.


This is the harbor landmark- a giant re-creation of an incense burner.  Oman is the go-to place for high-quality frankincense.

Third, it is clean.  Really clean.  Eat-off-the-street clean.  And after India- what a change.


Fourth, it was my first introduction to "Middle East Money".  There's wealth, and then there's Middle East Wealth.  Here below are three of the Sultan of Oman's boats...


So, what did I do?  Well, the best way to discover people and places is in markets--so I headed to the Souq.  Yes, it was more touristy than going to the inland markets, but I loved it..going down the rabbit hole, so to speak, exploring all the side aisles and basically wandering to get lost.



The green piles are not spices, but henna- to be used for everything from hair treatments to mehndi temporary tattooing.





"Artificial Jewelry"???  I learned that meant gold-look costume jewelry that was not made of gold.


As opposed to the real stuff, found in the gold section of the souq.  Serious wealth means serious gold jewelry- which many Middle Eastern women buy as monetary investments in case of divorce and others such life events.  Bangles are sold by the gram, not by the piece.


I never fail, it seems, to find a cook shop.  Look at the sizes of these pots!




Yes, Middle Eastern Islamic women wear abaya- the black cloak worn over the clothes when in public.  But that doesn't mean the cloak can't be festooned with  yards and yards of trim.


I found shawls, scarves, beads, incense--almost too much for the senses in one visit.

Guess it was no surprise I went back twice......


No comments: