Saturday, June 11, 2011

SFC 2010 Barcelona

The first thing that springs to my mind when I hear "Barcelona" is Basil Fawlty scathingly putting down Manuel, his hapless waiter/bellboy with "He's from Barcelona."

In truth, Barcelona was lovely.

As usual, I was up early, making photos from the bow area of Deck 9. To my utter amusement, as I was watching, suddenly a hatch opens up on the bow and out jumps first one...



Then another crewmember.



Like a jack-in-the-box....SURPRISE!

The duo was doing something with the lines....I guess in preparation for docking. I know my Chief Officer Jan-Olav would have a fit seeing them like this.





There were several cruise ships already in port....Disney Magic among them. But as we got closer...whom should we see?



That's right. Crystal Serenity.



It happens very seldom, and when it does, it's always a big deal. Notice that Serenity already has her welcome flags up.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that is Captain Økland on the left.



Off in the distance, the cathedral rises from the city like...well, I hate to say it, but to my mind, like a pile of wet sand drippings.



Aren't my girls pretty??



You can see a little of the differences in them at their bows.



On our tour, we were taken to a charming area of shops along alleyways that meander around a central square.



Lookchin and friend chillin during a break.



Please note Georgia Tech shirt on 'da Bear!

One of the shops was a glassblower, Now, I could watch a glassblower all day long...I find it mesmerizing.



So much so that I took a short video.



Wow.



Cool.



Actually, probably the furthest thing from cool, but you get the drift.









Our tour took us by a mural by some Spanish guy named Picasso.



El Fris del Gegants 1960.

Then onto that wonder, the Cathedral designed by Gaudi.







I've heard it said you either love it or hate it. I don't know. The jury's still out with me.

We could have rented some really cool touring go-carts if we had the time.



Having a "thing" for gargoyles, I loved this one.



There's really some wild-ass stuff in there.







Lovely cool streets all around.



Back at the ships, both now wearing welcome flags.



Soon, night descended, and Symphony had to leave.



Serenity was remaining overnight. Crew members from both ships gathered on the bows (the area reserved for crew members), and at one point as we were leaving, broke into a spontaneous a capella rendition of "What a Wonderful World" that is Crystal's signature song.

Once we got out of the harbor, I noticed the crew bar was in full swing.



The crew knows how to have a good time, too!

No comments: