Wednesday, June 8, 2011

WC2011 Yarra Valley

It was pretty amazing to open the curtains and see this.



Yep. That's Cunard's brand new Queen Elizabeth, on her maiden around-the-world voyage.



We departed the ship early (8:20am) with Suzanne and Bill. Suzanne had researched some travel companies and had booked us onto an all-day tour of the wineries in nearby Yarra Valley. After picking up seven other wine-lovers at various hotels in Melbourne, we headed inland.

Our first stop was De Bortoli Wines.



I think all vineyards must have some requirement that they be picturesque.









Next stop, Coldstream Hills.





Again....beautiful setting. At this point, I am really thinking I could do this every day....tasting wine, photographing beautiful vineyards...tasting MORE wine.........

I wasn't the only one taking photos....so were Mama and Suzanne.





I think Coldstream Hills was my favorite of the day. I liked their chardonnay so much (YES, CHARDONNAY!) that I bought two bottles.

Lunch had been arranged at Domaine Chandon.




You can tell I am hating every minute of this......



Antipasti, quiche and salad. And 4 wines!!!!



Blanc-de-blanc bubbles, chardonnay, pinot noir and the new pinot/shiraz bubbles .



Geezy peasy.... I could get used to this.......









Next up..Yering Station, the first winery in the Yarra Valley.





Yes, you will note an alarming decline in phototaking after lunch...what can I say????

After visiting the fourth winery of the day, we made a stop at Yarra Valley Dairy.



Charming shop.



So many good things to sample.



More wine, with some lovely LOVELY handmade cheeses to go along.. We found a bottle of wine PERFECT for my sister-in-law Julie--"Another Bloody Chardonnay".

I happened to be quick enough to capture a farm inhabitant hanging out under some equipment...



Pleasantly full, we headed back into town.

We arrived back in the ship with a few moments to spare before YOU-KNOW-WHO next door departed.

Crowds--I mean CROWDS-were on hand to watch the Queen's departure.





It was quite a parade.



After a very lengthy battle of the typhoon horns within the harbor, off she sailed.







Impressive, yes...but I will remain a Crystal chick, thankyouverrrymuch.

As if the day hadn't been full to the brim, that night we were treated to a demonstration of aboriginal music and dance in the Crystal Cove.




It was then that I TRULY felt I was in Australia.

And I liked it!

No comments: