Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Angkor Thom and Bayon

The area known as Angkor comprises over 1,000 temples.  All of it is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.  So while most visit Angkor Wat, one also needs to visit a few of the other temples.

Next on our list was Angkor Thom.  It is known for its giant faces carved in relief.


It's quite high, but easy to climb if one feels like pretending to be a kid again.  Which I did.


The sun was blistering.









My fascination with doors and windows continues.


Also on site of Angkor Thom is a small temple with a very LARGE Buddha.


Where I took a few moments for meditation.  Two lovely ladies (I regret that I didn't get a photo of them!) helped me with my offering, chanted for me, and gave me a prayer bracelet.  As I type this, three months later, it is still on my right wrist.

Size matters.


Maybe this helps with scale?


Oh look! You CAN see one of the lovely ladies, in the center...kneeling (she's in purple).


The Terrace of the Elephants.


We all needed a wee break.



Bill was still all smiles!



Unforgettable!!!

No comments: